Regulator says CGX resuming drilling at Wei-1 

Must Read

OilNOW is an online-based Information and Resource Centre

Guyana’s Maritime Administration Department (MARAD) issued a notice to mariners, which pegged March 6 as the resumption date for drilling operations at Wei-1 by CGX Energy. 

After successfully drilling the first prospective geologic horizons in the Upper Maastrichtian, CGX put a pause on operations and noted in a March 2 update that the geophysical logs were being obtained in the open hole section within which hydrocarbon shows were encountered.

With resumption, CGX will now target the deeper prospective horizons in the Lower Maastrichtian, Campanian and Santonian sections.

The Wei-1 well is located approximately 14 kilometres northwest of the previous Kawa-1 light oil and condensate discovery and is being drilled in water depth of approximately 1,912 feet (583 metres) to an anticipated total depth of 20,500 feet (6,248 metres).

The Noble Discoverer semi-submersible rig is being used. Drilling is expected to conclude in the middle of the 2Q23.

CGX Energy is the operator of the Corentyne Block with a 32% stake, while Frontera Energy holds the remaining 68%.


Partnered Events

Latest News

Noble’s Bob Douglas Vessel continues development drilling at Yellowtail site 

ExxonMobil Guyana is forging ahead with developmental drilling operations at the Yellowtail well site within Guyana’s Exclusive Economic Zone.  According...

More Articles Like This