Guyana expects all electricity generated from the first phase of its flagship Gas-to-Energy (GtE) project to be consumed domestically as demand grows alongside rapid economic expansion, President Irfaan Ali said on Friday, while outlining plans for a second phase that would further expand power generation capacity.
Speaking during a press conference in Georgetown on May 22, Ali said the government is already advancing plans for the second phase of the project, as growing industrial and commercial activity is expected to absorb the full output of the first phase.
“What is happening in the economy will definitely consume all of GtE 1,” the President said.
The first phase of the project includes a natural gas liquids (NGL) separation plant and a 300-megawatt gas-fired power plant at Wales, West Bank Demerara. The infrastructure is being built by U.S.-based contractor Lindsayca, which continued the project on its own after its original joint venture partner exited.
The project was initially slated for completion in 2024 but has faced delays, drawing public criticism locally over the pace of execution.
Asked whether he still viewed Lindsayca as the right partner for the project, Ali said the company had been selected through a public tender process and stressed that the government’s focus remains on ensuring the project is completed.
“Our intention is to work with all the stakeholders to have this project completed and to ensure that our people have the benefit of a cut in electricity rate by 50%” Ali said, referencing the government’s longstanding pledge to cut power prices.
Ali pointed to a recent statement by Prime Minister Mark Phillips outlining an updated timeline for the project. According to the president, the facilities are expected to start up by the end of this year, with electricity from the plant coming on stream in the first quarter of 2027.
Guyana’s Gas-to-Energy project is designed to use associated natural gas from ExxonMobil’s offshore Stabroek Block operations to generate cheaper electricity and support industrial development.
The second phase of the project would include additional gas transported through a future pipeline linked to ExxonMobil’s Hammerhead development, along with a second NGL plant and another 300-megawatt gas-fired power station.
He also outlined plans for additional industrial facilities at the Wales development zone, including an ammonia plant, a gas bottling and logistics facility, a data center and NGL storage infrastructure.
“We know the pipeline is there,” Ali said, referring to the offshore pipeline installed by ExxonMobil at the end of 2024. “We are now working aggressively to have this project completed.”



