Maritime border dispute delaying Tullow oil drilling operations in Ghana

Must Read

After more than 4 months with no election results; is Guyana’s uncertainty finally coming to an end?

Investors like stability and predictability. Knowing what to expect in the future forms the basis for multimillion-dollar investments in...

Venezuela sanctions set off fight for ‘plundered’ oil cargo

(AP) — For two months, the Malta-flagged oil tanker Alkimos has been quietly floating off the Gulf Coast of...

75% of targets at Orinduik block hold 3 billion barrels worth of light oil – Holzman

Even though the market has expressed disappointment in the heavy oil found in the Jethro and Joe wells at...
OilNOW
OilNow is an online-based Information and Resource Centre which serves to complement the work of all stakeholders in the oil and gas sector in Guyana.

Tullow Oil says plans are underway to resume drilling next year to boost output at its Tweneboa, Enyenra, Ntomme (TEN) field once the maritime dispute between Ghana and The Cote d’Ivoire is resolved.

Mr Charles Darku, the Tullow Ghana Managing Director, told shareholders on Wednesday that the drilling of the new wells would help increase production to 80,000 barrels a day from the current expected level of 50,000 barrels for 2017.

The International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea is set to rule on the maritime border dispute in late 2017.

“We are looking to the Ghana government to reach a resolution on that to enable us immediately to resume drilling new wells to boost production,” Mr Darku said.

The offshore TEN field blocks came on stream in August last year. Mr Darku said since no wells could be drilled until after the ruling, Tullow was managing the existing wells in a prudent and sustainable manner.

He said Tullow would seek additional reserves to extend production life while investing in new exploration opportunities beyond Jubilee and TEN. Touching on the Jubilee remediation and future production, Mr Darku said the Turret remediation project is on track.

He said the next phase of the project would involve modifications to the turret systems for long-term spread-moored operations, adding that detailed planning for the works is ongoing with government and joint venture partners to take the final decisions within the first half of 2017. He said work was expected to be carried out in the second half of 2017 with an anticipated shutdown of up to 12 weeks.

Mr Darku said Tullow was targeting Greater Jubilee Full Field Development Plan which aims to extend field production and increase commercial reserves in the second half of 2017.

Also Tullow would commence drilling in early 2018 to extend plateau and increase reserves in the field. On gas production, Mr Darku said Tullow was working in close collaboration with Ghana Gas to optimise gas usage, adding that the strategy was to maximise gas supply to Ghana.

He said Jubilee gas supply was increasing steadily and the completion of the TEN gas infrastructure would enhance the ability to supply more.

Mr Paul McDade, the Group CEO, said Tullow would continue to focus on growth with high-impact exploration assets and would be well positioned to take advantage of market opportunities. (Ghana Web)

- Advertisement -

Latest News

After more than 4 months with no election results; is Guyana’s uncertainty finally coming to an end?

Investors like stability and predictability. Knowing what to expect in the future forms the basis for multimillion-dollar investments in...

TechnipFMC in major deal with Assiut National Oil Processing Company

UK-based TechnipFMC has signed a major Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contract with Assiut National Oil Processing Company (ANOPC) for the construction of a new...

Venezuela sanctions set off fight for ‘plundered’ oil cargo

(AP) — For two months, the Malta-flagged oil tanker Alkimos has been quietly floating off the Gulf Coast of Texas, undisturbed by the high-stakes...

75% of targets at Orinduik block hold 3 billion barrels worth of light oil – Holzman

Even though the market has expressed disappointment in the heavy oil found in the Jethro and Joe wells at the Orinduik block, it should...

Brazil’s Petrobras begins decommissioning offshore platform in Campos Basin

Brazilian state oil company Petrobras says it has begun the decommissioning of the P-12 platform in the Campos Basin and will also be moving...

More Articles Like This