Potential distress flare spotted by Bourbon Rhode searchers

Must Read

First Guyanese security firm attains ISO certification, looking to tap into O&G opportunities

Through the assistance of the Center for Local Business Development (CLBD), another Guyanese firm - MMC Security...

Suriname oil discoveries estimated at 1.4 billion barrels – Rystad Energy

Norway-based independent energy research and business intelligence company, Rystad Energy, says the three discoveries made offshore Suriname...

Liza 1 & 2 ‘will provide low cost energy for years to come’ – Hess CEO

Even as governments and international oil companies pursue efforts to reduce carbon emissions on a global scale...
OilNOW
OilNow is an online-based Information and Resource Centre which serves to complement the work of all stakeholders in the oil and gas sector in Guyana.

Bourbon Offshore said in an update Tuesday that following reports on Sunday by two seafarers on-board the Alp Striker of signals that they interpreted as potentially emanating from a distress flare, the vessel immediately set a course for the area, in coordination with the CROSS Antilles-Guyane.

The CROSS called on 3 additional commercial vessels to change course and head to the area reported as being the origin of the signal. It also received air support from U.S. authorities by way of the aircraft Hercules C-130.

The search operations led by the Alp Striker, involving namely drones, as well as the operations carried out by the three other vessels, and the flyover by the U.S. aircraft Hercules C-130, have delivered no result at this stage.

The crisis cells are pursuing their actions and BOURBON’s teams are offering daily support to the families of crew members of the Bourbon Rhode.

The offshore vessel Bourbon Rhode sank on September 26 after finding itself near the eye of a category 4 hurricane “Lorenzo.” Before sinking, the crew sent a distress signal in which it said the vessel had developed a water ingress. There were 14 people aboard at the time of the accident. The vessel had been on its way from Las Palmas to Guyana.

Three crew members were rescued, four were confirmed dead and their bodies recovered, while seven crew members still remain missing.

On Saturday, October 5 Bourbon called off the search for the seven missing sailors, which sparked an outrage in Croatia as the ship’s Captain is from Šibenik, Croatia. A petition was launched for the search to continue.

Three survivors from the Bourbon Rhode arrived in Fort de France on Sunday on board the French Navy frigate Ventôse.

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Suriname oil discoveries estimated at 1.4 billion barrels – Rystad Energy

Norway-based independent energy research and business intelligence company, Rystad Energy, says the three discoveries made offshore Suriname...

First Guyanese security firm attains ISO certification, looking to tap into O&G opportunities

Through the assistance of the Center for Local Business Development (CLBD), another Guyanese firm - MMC Security Force Company - has been...

Guyana’s history with oil dates back centuries

The possibility of Guyana having petroleum stemmed from observations of petroliferous occurrences recorded by Dutch explorers since the 1750s, but it was not until...

Liza 1 & 2 ‘will provide low cost energy for years to come’ – Hess CEO

Even as governments and international oil companies pursue efforts to reduce carbon emissions on a global scale in the move towards renewable...

Bharrat outlines more measures for managing Guyana oil resources

Guyana’s Minister of Natural Resources, Vickram Bharrat, has outlined a number of new policy directions for the extractive sectors including oil and...

More Articles Like This