As Oil and gas producers around the world continue to step up measures to prevent or limit the spread of the coronavirus, World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned the “pandemic is accelerating,” in a tweet on Monday.
There are more than 381,000 cases of novel coronavirus and over 16,500 deaths globally. This is according to Johns Hopkins University, which is tracking figures from the World Health Organization and additional sources.
On Monday CNN listed a rundown of countries that reported a spike in cases in the past 24 hours:
- United States: More than 100 coronavirus-related deaths reported in a single day for the first time since the outbreak began. There are over 42,600 cases in the US — 21,689 in New York state — and at least 540 people have died.
- Canada: A significant increase in cases reported, especially in its largest provinces of Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia. On Monday, new cases spiked by nearly a third. There are at least 2,000 cases and 23 deaths nationwide.
- Brazil: The ministry of health reported 1,891 cases in the country as of Monday, a spike of almost 400 new cases in a single day.
- Italy: There were 601 new coronavirus-related deaths confirmed in the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of fatalities to 6,077. The total number of cases there is 63,927.
- China: Mainland China reported the first case in Hubei province in six days, according to China’s National Health Commission. It was among 78 additional cases reported as of the end of day Monday — 74 of those were imported.
- Singapore: There were 54 new reported cases on Monday, the city state’s biggest one-day surge to date, taking the national total up to 509 cases.
- Myanmar: The Southeast Asian country has recorded its first two cases of coronavirus, the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar reported.
- UK: At least 54 people have died in the UK from coronavirus in the past 24 hours. There have been 335 deaths and 6,700 cases nationwide.
- Spain: The health ministry reported 33,089 total cases on Monday — 4,517 more than Sunday, and 2,182 deaths — 462 more than Sunday.
- Iran: The country confirmed 1,411 new cases, bringing the total number to 23,049, on Monday. Iran also reported 127 new coronavirus-related fatalities, bringing the total death toll to 1,812.