Touchstone begins sidetrack drilling at Royston-1X well in Trinidad

Must Read

OilNOW
OilNOW
OilNOW is an online-based Information and Resource Centre

Touchstone Exploration said Monday that it commenced operations at the Royston-1X sidetrack well on the onshore Ortoire Block in Trinidad and Tobago.

Royston-1X is re-entering the previously drilled Royston-1 well and is expected to be drilled to a measured depth of 11,300 feet, targeting hydrocarbon accumulations in the Middle Miocene Herrera overthrust, intermediate, and subthrust sheets.

The Star Valley Drilling Rig #25 was mobilised to the Royston surface location and passed all required pre-drilling inspections, Touchstone said.

The company is targeting to drill the Royston-1X well through the previously tested Herrera sands to penetrate new sands at the base of the intermediate sheet and into the untested subthrust sheet. The well is anticipated to be drilled and logged within 45 days.

The Royston-1 exploration well was drilled in 2021 to a total depth of 10,700 feet and identified over 1,000 feet of Herrera section in the overthrust and intermediate sheets, encountering light, sweet crude oil in both sheets.

Paul Baay, President and Chief Executive Officer of Touchstone Exploration said “the Royston-1 well drilled in 2021 showed tremendous potential, flowing significant volumes of 33-degree API oil from both the overthrust and intermediate sheets; however, mechanical challenges prevented meaningful production from the well. The challenges encountered at Royston-1 and the lessons learnt have helped us to design a drilling plan to optimally evaluate the Herrera Formation. As we target the deeper level, our enhanced understanding of the structure will allow us to assess the full potential of the intermediate sheet, which was not fully penetrated or completed in Royston-1, as well as the subthrust sheet which is a prolific target in offsetting oil pools.”

Touchstone has an 80% operating interest in the well, with Heritage Petroleum Company Limited holding the remaining 20% interest.

- ADVERTISEMENT -
spot_img

Partnered Events

Latest News

Guyana to implement ‘regime of penalties and sanctions’ for gold smuggling, following U.S. expose

Guyana's Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo says a range of tougher penalties and sanctions will be introduced for persons caught...

More Articles Like This